M&A Activity Down In July by FactSet
US M&A deal activity decreased in July, down 5.0% with 930 announcements compared to 979 in June. Aggregate M&A spending decreased as well. In July, 4.6% less was spent on deals compared to June.
Canyon Distressed Opportunity Fund likes the backdrop for credit
The Canyon Distressed Opportunity Fund III held its final closing on Jan. 1 with total commitments of $1.46 billion, calling half of its capital commitments so far. Canyon has about $26 billion in assets under management now. Q4 2020 hedge fund letters, conferences and more Positive backdrop for credit funds In their fourth-quarter letter to Read More
Over the past three months, the sectors that have seen the biggest increases in M&A deal activity relative to the same three month period one year ago, have been:
- Process Industries (135 vs. 121)
- Non-Energy Minerals (65 vs. 60)
- Government (8 vs. 4)
- Consumer Durables (56 vs. 52)
- Communications (43 vs. 42)
Six of the 21 sectors tracked by FactSet Mergerstat posted relative gains in deal flow over the last three months compared to the same three months one year prior.
|Sector by Activity|
|Target Sector||L3M 7/31/16
Over the past three months, the sectors that have seen the biggest declines in M&A deal volume relative to the same three month period one year ago have been:
- Technology Services (429 vs. 552),
- Commercial Services (412 vs. 524),
- Finance (363 vs. 473),
- Consumer Services (192 vs. 292),
- Health Services (145 vs. 209).
Thirteen of the 21 sectors tracked by FactSet Mergerstat posted negative relative losses in deal flow over the last three months compared to the same three months one year prior, for a combined loss of 733 deals.
The Big Deals of June
Topping the list of the largest deals announced in June were:
- NextEra Energy, Inc’s agreement to acquire Energy Future Holdings Corp. from Texas Energy Future Holdings LP $18.4 billion
- Analog Devices Inc. agreeing to acquire Linear Technology Corp. for $14.4 billion
- Danone SA’s deal to acquire The WhiteWave Foods Co. for $10 billion
- Oracle Corp’s agreement to acquire NetSuite, Inc. for $8.8 billion
- Verizon Communications Inc. agreeing to acquire the Yahoo! Inc.’s operating business for $4.8 billion
US private equity activity decreased in July, down 7.7% from June. There were 96 deals in July compared to 104 in June. Aggregate transaction value also decreased, down by 6.1% to $18.8 billion from June’s $20.0 billion.
FactSet Flashwire Monthly Report
Download the full report for more, including:
- Key trend information for the Overall and Middle M&A Markets, such as deal volume, deal value, mega-deals, leading buyers, leading industries, leading sectors, cross-border deals, US regional deals, average P/E, average premiums, payment methods, and much more
- Industry reports on the Internet, Telecommunications, Healthcare, Banking, and much more
- Special reports on technology, the public and private M&A markets, cancellation fees, industry activity, etc.
- Leading financial and legal advisor rankings
Receive stories like this to your inbox as they are published. Subscribe by e-mail and follow @FactSet on Twitter. If you are looking to source FactSet data or analytics in your publication, email [email protected]
© Copyright 2000 – 2016 FactSet Research Systems Inc.