German Newspaper Bild reports that a gunman involved in today’s shooting has shot himself in the head. While attacks like this do scream terrorist (ISIS) attack, it’s important to note that five years ago today, Anders Behring Breivik launched his attacks against the government and the civilian population killing 77 people most of which were children. Germany has no shortage of right wing types, so while I’m not saying this wasn’t an attack by ISIS that date could prove significant.
German public broadcaster BR is now reporting that six people were killed in the McDonald’s inside the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall. While police are asking for people to stay at home, but with public transportation shut down through Munich with many people leaving work that’s easier said than done.
The BBC is now reporting that a second police operation is underway in the city center in addition to the operation at the Olympia shopping center. The BBC is reporting eye witness accounts of three shooters in the city center.
The Munich police have come out and outright said that they are dealing with a terror attack, and that they have failed to apprehend the shooter(s) yet.
The Munich police have stated that they believe they are dealing with three attackers and each remains at large.
“We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage,” said a spokeswoman for the Munich police.
“We believe there was more than one perpetrator. The first reports came at 6 pm, the shooting apparently began at a McDonald’s in the shopping centre. There are still people in the shopping centre. We are trying to get the people out and take care of them.”
AP is reporting that one person is dead and ten others were injured in the shooting at the shopping center in Munich. However, German media outlets are reporting that several people were killed, according to the BBC. AP and the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper both cite police for the information. A gunman reportedly opened fire inside a cafe and a nearby metro center. People who are on the scene say helicopters are flying overhead, and police in Munich are advising people to avoid the area.
Sky News and CNN are reporting that the incident is over but that the scene remains active.
We’re getting the first reports about possible casualties from the scene of the shopping center in Munich, Germany. Although there are no official confirmations, reports from Twitter and from multiple media outlets suggest there could be many deaths. Reuters reports multiple deaths, while RT pegs the number at 15, although police have not confirmed these reports.
A mall in Munich is on lockdown after a report of shots fired. German media are reporting that there’s a massive police operation is underway as officers try to hunt down the gunman. Shoppers were seen running from the mall to seek shelter outside. There are no official reports of any injuries yet, although The Mirror reports that there may be a body on the floor inside the mall. According to CNN, a spokesperson for Munich police went so far as to describe the incident as a “shooting spree.”
— Times LIVE (@TimesLIVE) July 22, 2016
— KHOU 11 News Houston (@KHOU) July 22, 2016
— Shaan Haider (@shaanhaider) July 22, 2016
— Sebastian Raphael (@Major_Asskick) July 22, 2016