Global Asset Allocation – Investing 101 by Meb Faber
Guest: This inaugural episode features just host, Meb Faber.
Topics: On this first-ever podcast, Meb provides listeners with a bit about himself and answers the question “What in the world am I doing starting a podcast?” (After all, he is a self-professed former “glorified ski bum.”) He then discusses a broad investing framework – a global asset allocation model – that serves as a helpful starting point for the shows to come. Next, Meb discusses the portfolio returns of a handful of the smartest, most respected fund managers in the world today. Which portfolio allocation has performed the best over the last several decades? The answer is going to surprise you. And while we’re asking questions, why did Charlie Munger (Warren Buffett’s business partner) say “the investment-management business in insane?” That answer, and far more, on Episode 1 of The Meb Faber Show.
Episode Sponsor: TheIdeaFarm.com
inks from the Episode:
- Triumph of the Optimists – Dimson, Marsh, Staunton
- “Global Investment Returns Yearbook” – Credit Suisse
- Stocks for the Long Run – Jeremy Siegel
- “Stock Returns in the US” – Wes Gray
- “Investment Management Business is Insane”– Charlie Munger quote
- “Holy Grail”- Ray Dalio quote
- Global Asset Allocation free book download
- AAII Sentiment Survey
- Extraordinary Popular Delusions in the Madness of Crowds – Charles MacKay
- “What if Sir Issac Newton Had Been a Trend Follower” – Meb Faber
- The Little Book of Behavioral Investing – James Montier
- “The Most Import Decision When Selecting a Value Investing Fund” (Mutual fund performance time vs dollar weighting)” – David Foulke
- “Selection and termination of Investment Management Firms by Planned Sponsors” – Amit Goyal & Sunil Wahal
- Fidelity study on best performing portfolios
- “John Bogle Explains How the Index Fund Won with Investors” (active vs. passive or high vs. low fee)
- “Portfolio Implications of Triple Net Returns” – Peter Mladina
- “Active Management” (Managing tax challenges by iShares) – Meb Faber
Running Segment: “Things I find beautiful, useful or downright magical”:
See the full transcript here.