The iPhone is capable of recording pretty good quality video, and overall is a sound video recorder as far as a smartphone is concerned. However, there is a problem, and that is with the camera app. It can quickly eat through battery life with normal use, but try and use it via the lock screen and this problem seriously increases.
This problem is caused by the displaying of a video whilst it is being recorded, and currently iOS does not allow you to do anything about it!
Recording Video with your iPhone screen Off
Actually it does not matter if Apple will not let you do anything about it via iOS, as there is a work around. This work around assumes that you are using the latest version of iOSx9.x., there is the possibility that this will work on other versions, but I have not yet tested it with them, so use this at your peril.
If you’re asking yourself “Does this require a jailbroken iPhone?” the answer is no, this will work on any iPhone running on the version of iOS I mentioned a short while ago. However, it must be a bug, because Apple still does not want anyone to be able to record anything with the iPhone screen off. This could be due to some privacy concerns, or some other less obvious reasons.
Furthermore, it’s your iPhone and as long as you’re not using it for illegal reasons, why should you not be able to record video without having the screen all lit like a Christmas tree! So if the sound of recording video, with out the screen on with your iPhone sounds appealing, here’s what you have to do to make it work.
- Starting from the lockscreen, swipe up on the camera icon, but only about half way and do not let go.
- Switch over to video mode and then tap the large red record button.
- Next, double-tap the home button “Three Times” so for a total of six times.
- No leave your iPhone screen to go to sleep on its own. Its now that the screen will turn off and will continue to record video!
- When you finished recording video, all you have to do is wake up your iPhone, unlock it and continue to use it.
And that’s it you now know how to record video on your iPhone with the screen switched off, it may not be the best way to use your camera, but it certainly is a great way to save some all important battery life.
(Video Source: iDeviceHelp [YouTube])