While Memorial Day is mostly known in America for its great (or not always so great but deceptive advertising and practices makes it seem that way) sales and barbecues with family – memorial day has a much deeper meaning. The day is to honor those who fell in the armed services of America during its wars. The bloodiest wars in American history were the Civil War followed closely by World War II – fittingly, many Americans consider those two wars the most just we have ever fought. See below for some more inspirational quotes on Memorial day and an infographic.
Below you can find a few quotes on Memorial Day followed by an infographic on what people do on this day of remembrance.
Memorial Day Quotes
“Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”
— John F. Kennedy
“I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.”
— Bob Riley
“Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.”
— George Washington
“The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.”
“It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”
— H. Norman Schwarzkopf
“They hover as a cloud of witnesses above this Nation.”
— Henry Ward Beecher
“Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.”
— Senator Barry Goldwater
“Life is eternal; and love is immortal; and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.”
— Rossiter W. Raymond
What Do People Do On Memorial Day? – Infographic
The national signal flare that summer is here is just days away. What will people be doing? WalletHub did the research for this infographic. Of note are:
- 1.3 million have lost their lives in service of the United States of America which is the single reason this day of remembrance exists
- 3:00pm is the national moment of remembrance as declared by Congress in 2000
- 25 cities have laid claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. LBJ declared it was Waterloo, NY in 1966 but there’s still gray area about an actual birthplace
- 62% of Americans plan to Barbeque
- 25% more home cooking fires happen on Memorial Day than average
- 44% of all traffic fatalities over the holiday weekend are alcohol related
- See more interesting facts below.
Remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice this weekend. Have fun at the celebrations but be safe!