Lots of ideas and uncertainty at this year’s Sohn Investment Conference. Here’s a broad roundup of the picks, followed by what we found most interesting and might actually buy into.
Things we might actually buy into:
- Winner of the Sohn Conference best idea – short DexCom. It’s a maker of insulin pumps, with 70% downside.
- Runner ups in the best idea competition – long Amerco (UHAL) and short Domino’s Pizza.
- David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital short Caterpillar. Mining will never turnaround and CAT earnings won’t officially bottom until 2018.
- Jeff Gundlach short utilities and short mortgage real estate.
- Jeff Smith of Starboard Value long Depomed.
- Chamath Palihapitiya long Amazon. Amazon Web Services the darkhorse.
- Larry Robbins of Glenview Capital pushing older ideas, Brookdale Senior Living only interesting one.
- Don’t forget to sign up for the free activist investing newsletter to stay up to date on actionable activist ideas.