88th Academy Awards
Red carpets, gold statues and white voters. These are just a few of Oscar’s favorite things. And with the just four days away, WalletHub today released its 2016 Oscars By The Numbers Report, which includes an infographic filled with fun facts about the event as well as a Q&A with a panel of leading entertainment business experts.
Below you can find a few highlights from the 88th Academy Awards report:
- 2%: Of Academy Awards voters are Black (vs. 13.2% of the population)
- 25 Years Old: Jennifer Lawrence is the youngest person ever to earn four acting nominations
- $3,500: Average cost of preparing a Hollywood actress for the red carpet
- $220K: Value of the 2016 Oscar Swag Bag
- 39 Years: Between Sylvester Stallone’s two Oscar nominations for his portrayal of Rocky Balboa
- 45 Sec: The amount to which acceptance speeches will be cut down this year, thanks to individual shout outs scrolling on the bottom of the screen.
The film industry has come a long way from the days of black and white, yet as the outcry over the 2016 Academy Award nominations illustrate, equality remains a work in progress in the minds of many. But between the amazing films that were snubbed and the great ones still vying for a coveted gold statue, it’s certainly been a wonderful year of movies.
We laughed. We cried. And we spent a lot of money: roughly $11 billion at the box office and at least another $1.5 billion on demand in 2015. We weren’t alone, either, as 23 movies released in 2015 had a production budget of at least $100 million. You also have to consider the $100 million or so that Hollywood spends to lobby voters each awards season, which just goes to show how financially beneficial an Oscar win can be for studios, actors, directors and more.
If you haven’t yet seen some of the year’s top flicks, now’s the time to get your binge on. Just make sure to come up for air long enough to check out this awesome Academy Awards By The Numbers report. WalletHub analyzed the event from top to bottom in search of the most interesting factoids to foster your Oscars spirit, which you can find in the fun infographic below. We also hosted a panel discussion with a group of leading movie business experts to get additional insights into a range of matters related to Hollywood’s biggest night. Enjoy the show!
88th Academy Awards infographic via WalletHub