Stockholm based Thomas Stridsman is a systems trading expert and fund manager with over 25 years professional experience. He manages the Alfa Commodity Fund which has a five year track record with an annual return of around 7%. Thomas Stridsman is also the author of the groundbreaking book “Trading Systems That Work: Building and Evaluating Effective Trading Systems” (McGraw-Hill) where he first demonstrated that money management and position sizing techniques are the most important components in systems trading, even more relevant than actual entry and exit signals.
Thomas Stridsman: How To Make Money In Short Term Trend Following, In A Challenging Market
In this Opalesque.TV BACKSTAGE video, Thomas speaks about:
- Why have so many CTAs struggled as they entered the new millennium in 2000?
- How Thomas is able to make money in short term trend following, a strategy many think “doesn’t work any more”?
- “You need to know your math”, and more: How data science, machine learning will transform investing the coming years
- What quant researchers and model builders will learn from Google, Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and others
- Lack of innovation: How the “not-invented-here” syndrome within the CTA community of larger managers and funds in the end hurts performance and investors
Thomas Stridsman has over 25 years of experience in the financial markets as an editor (e.g. Futures Magazine), author (e.g. Trading Systems that Work, McGraw-Hill, 2000), analyst, researcher (e.g. Rotella Capital), university teacher and seminar speaker, trader, strategy developer, fund manager, and poker player. He is the fund manager of the Alfakraft Commodity fund and specializes in quantitative (fully coded, mechanical and systematic) risk overlay strategies for dynamic size allocation and risk distribution in the commodity futures markets.
Alfakraft is a Swedish fund management company that offers quantitative managed funds in alternative asset classes. Alfakraft was founded in 1998, and has since been engaged in the asset management of energy and commodities. Alfakraft has been under the supervision of the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority (Finansinspektionen) since 1999.