August Hedge Fund Numbers by StockPucker
Just a quick rundown of how some of the bigger hedge funds did in that brutal August.
First, let’s remember that the S&P 500 was down more than 6% in August.
- Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square down 9.2 percent
- Marcato Capital down 9.1 percent
- Larry Robbins’ Glenview Capital down 5.5 percent
- David Einhorn’s Greenlight Capital down 5.3 percent
- Dan Loeb’s Third Point down 5.2 percent
- Nelson Peltz’s Trian Partners down 4.8 percent
- Barry Rosenstein’s JANA Partners down 4.3 percent
- John Paulson’s Paulson Partners down 4.2 percent
- David Tepper’s Appaloosa Management down 1.8 percent
Of note – the HFRI Fund Weighted Composite Index experienced its biggest drop since May 2012, falling 1.9 percent for the month.
Relying On Old-Fashioned Stock Picking, Lee Ainslie Reports His “Strongest Quarter” Ever
Lee Ainslie's Maverick Fund USA enjoyed its "strongest quarter in the fund's history" during the three months to the end of June. According to a copy of the firm's second-quarter letter to investors, which ValueWalk has been able to review, Maverick Fund USA gained 18% in the second quarter. Following this performance, the fund was Read More
The HFRI Equity Hedge Index experienced a decline of 2.6 percent. Short bias funds led sub-strategy performance, gaining 5%, while high beta growth strategies brought up the rear after falling 4.1%.
Event-driven strategies fell by 1.7%. Shareholder activist funds were the weakest area of event-driven performance, with the sub-index declining by 3.5%.