Yahoo, Google Testing Search Partnership

Yahoo, Google Testing Search Partnership

Yahoo recently confirmed that it is testing out other search providers starting with Google. SEO book author Aaron Wall discovered the tech giant’s plans and shared screen shots. Yahoo explained:

“As we work to create the absolute best experiences for Yahoo users, from time to time, we run small tests with a variety of partners including search providers.”

Dan Loeb’s Third Point Returns 1.9% In Jan Amid Market Turmoil

Activist hedge fund Third Point LLC recorded a profit of 1.9% in January, according to a copy of the firm's latest performance tear sheet, which ValueWalk has been able to review. These figures seem to suggest that the hedge fund managed to make the most of January's market volatility, as other hedge funds struggled. The Read More

Yahoo to enhance the search experience

A representative for Yahoo added that there was nothing more to share at this time. It is important to point out that Yahoo already has a renewed Microsoft deal that requires it to post Bing ads in at least 51% of the search results. In April, the two companies revised their partnership which allowed Bing to be Yahoo’s exclusive search provider. But Yahoo now has the right to use other search providers for the remaining 49% of searches. There is also the possibility the tech companies could completely dissolve their partnership by the latter part of this year.

Yahoo looks into the future

Yahoo is most likely testing the waters before completely cutting ties with Bing. The fact that it is using Google search to power its search engine may mean it is ready to make some big changes. In 2008, Google and Yahoo had planned to team up for search ads before the United States Dept. of Justice’s antitrust division claimed the agreement wouldn’t be fair to consumers. The DOJ believed it would deny consumers the opportunity of choice. As a result, Google walked away from the deal.

Yahoo wants to be relevant, and working with Google as a search results provider will most likely help it reach that goal. Google is one of the most relevant search engines in the world, and Yahoo knows it is highly unlikely that it will ever surpass Google as the leading search engine.


No posts to display