Home Value Investing In Investing, How Much Information is Enough?

In Investing, How Much Information is Enough?

Tobias Carlisle Google Talk

Get The Full Seth Klarman Series in PDF

Get the entire 10-part series on Seth Klarman in PDF. Save it to your desktop, read it on your tablet, or email to your colleagues.

To everyone, more is always better and I am referring to information. Investors who have read books such as Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits  by Phillip Fisher would understand what I am referring to – The Scuttlebutt Theory. Many investment books constantly teaches us to gather as much information as possible on a company to make a more well informed decision.

However, have we ever thought about how much information is truly necessary and the opportunity cost of the long researching process? More often than not, 80% of the information can be obtained using 20% of our time. While the remaining 20% would require the remaining 80% of our time. An investor who is able to act upon only 80% worth of information would be able to identify 5 times more opportunities than an investor who only acts when he has 100% worth of information. At times the latter investor may not even have the chance if the stock price has moved whilst he is spending his time finding the other 20% worth of information.

Furthermore, how much information is truly enough? I remembered reading this from a forum and found it to be extremely spot on. In summary a forumite was giving a brief overview of a Japanese company such as EV/EBITDA 1.0x, no debt, loads of cash etc. However, other forumites started querying for additional information such as the revenue/geographical breakdown, different business segments, catalysts etc. Yet, if we were to think about it, a company trading at such valuations, what more is necessary to be known? If one isn't convinced, no amount of information can convince him.

With investing or anything in life, one has to be able to strike a right balance. On this note, I would like readers to ponder on the question – is finding the remaining 20% worth of information using 80% of their time truly worth it? Could they put that time to better use elsewhere?

The post How Much Information is Enough? appeared first on ValueEdge.

Previous articleFasting Improves Health [STUDY]
Next articleFacebook Inc May Discuss New Mobile Ad Formats At Cannes
I developed my passion for investment management especially equity research at a relatively young age. My investment journey began when I was 20, at a point in time where markets were still recovering from the Global Financial Crisis. My portfolio started from money I saved over the past years and through working during the holidays. I was fortunate to have a good friend with common investing mentality to began my journey towards value investing. To date, we still research and invest in companies together, discussing valuations and potential risks of a company. To date, I manage a fund with a value investing style. Positions are decided upon via a bottom-up approach or smart speculation (a term I came up with when buying a stock for quick profit due to a mismatch in prices in the market due to takeovers/selling of a subsidiary or associate). Apart from managing my own portfolio, I enjoy sharing my research with family and friends, seeking their opinions and views towards the stock. Reading Economics in London, I constantly keep up with the financial news in Singapore & Hong Kong. Despite my busy schedule, it has not stopped me from enjoying other aspects of life. I enjoy a variety of activities in whatever free time I may have – endurance running, marathons, traveling, fine dining, whiskey appreciation, fashion. Lastly, I enjoy meeting new people, discussing ideas and gaining new perspectives towards issues in the world.


The Life and Career of Charlie Munger

You can learn from Charlie Munger firsthand via this incredible ebook and over a dozen other famous investor studies by signing up below:Charlie is more than just Warren Buffett’s friend and Berkshire Hathaway’s Vice Chairman – Buffett has actually credited him with redefining how he looks at investing. Now you can learn from Charlie firsthand via this incredible ebook and over a dozen other famous investor studies by signing up below:

  • Learn from the best and forever change your investing perspective
  • One incredible tidbit of knowledge after another in the page-turning masterpiece of a book
  • Discover the secrets to Charlie’s success and how to apply it to your investing

Never Miss A Story!

Subscribe to ValueWalk Newsletter. We respect your privacy.


    We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.
    Exit mobile version