What to Do After A Bad Day? by David Merkel, CFA of the Aleph Bog
I didn’t feel well today, but my broad market portfolio did better than me. I probably could not have picked a worse day to do my reshaping, but here are the results:
Q2 Hedge Funds Resource Page Now LIVE!!! Lives, Conferences, Slides And More [UPDATED 7/12]
Simply click the menu below to perform sorting functions. This page was just created on 7/1/2020 we will be updating it on a very frequent basis over the next three months (usually at LEAST daily), please come back or bookmark the page. As always we REALLY really appreciate legal letters and tips on hedge funds Read More
- Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited (NYSE:AHL)
- Flagstone Reinsurance Holdings SA (NYSE:FSR)
- Redwood Trust, Inc. (NYSE:RWT)
- Mylan Inc (NASDAQ:MYL)
- Lafarge S.A. (ADR) (OTCMKTS:LFRGY) (EPA:LG)
- Reinsurance Group of America Inc (NYSE:RGA) (old friend, cheap price)
- Honda Motor Co Ltd (ADR) (NYSE:HMC) (TYO:7267)
- Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE:VLO)
- ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP)
- Vishay Intertechnology (NYSE:VSH)
- Deerfield Capital
I’m not done. My moves today raised cash from 5% to 10%, and trimmed positions from 36 to 33. I have room for two more ideas, and am working on where to place cash. My timing of buys and sells today was good — not that that is a key competency of mine by any means.
Aside from the sale of the reinsurers, which were just cheap placeholders, the other positions were not as relatively cheap as they once were. RGA and Honda are quality companies selling at bargain prices. If I had more names like those, I would buy them all day long.
Away from my broad market portfolio, I raised my equity exposure in my mutual funds fractionally today. Time to rebalance.
PS — I can’t remember another day quite like this, where the late negative to positive move was so pronounced.
Full disclosure: long DFR RGA HMC VLO COP VSH