The big-screen iPhone 6 is expected to be the biggest hit in Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)’s history. Consumers are increasingly moving to smartphones with larger display. And the iPhone 6 would cater to those who prefer visual experience over one-handed use with its 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions. Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty said in a research note that she expects the iPhone 6 sales to be 20% higher than the 5S sales.
Apple partners to produce 80 million iPhone 6 units this year
Another report suggests that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) partners will be producing 80 million units of the iPhone 6 this year. Of that, more than 90% will be the 4.7-inch model, and less than 10% devices will be the 5.5-inch phablets. The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 has reportedly been facing various issues such as lack of availability of sapphire glass, battery problems, and high costs. So, experts say that the phablet version will be launched in later 2014.
There's a gold rush coming as electric vehicle manufacturers fight for market share, proclaimed David Einhorn at this year's 2021 Sohn Investment Conference. Check out our coverage of the 2021 Sohn Investment Conference here. Q1 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more SORRY! This content is exclusively for paying members. SIGN UP HERE If you Read More
But, according to Taiwan’s Economic Daily News, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will hit the stores in August, a month earlier than expected. Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) has reportedly asked its suppliers Foxconn Technology Co Ltd (TPE:2354), Pegatron Corporation (TPE:4938) and others to ramp up production by the end of June. It’s the second time we are hearing about an August release. In March, UBS analyst Steven Milunovich said in a research report that the iPhone 6 will be launched in August or September. According to reports, Foxconn will produce 85% of the iPhone 6 units, while Pegatron will be responsible for the remaining 15%.
Apple to integrate NFC chips in the iPhone 6
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) will reportedly pack the iPhone 6 with near-field communication (NFC) that will improve the Cupertino-based company’s in-place mobile payment facility. Citing sources close to the development, BrightWire said that the tech giant has signed a deal with China UnionPay to integrate the Chinese bank’s services in its Passbook app. NFC is also likely to play a crucial role in forthcoming App Store improvements.
Last month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the iPhone maker will integrate NFC chips into the iPhone 6, along with a host of new features. It comes amid reports that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is planning to enter the mobile payment market, which is likely to be tied to the TouchID sensor.
Water-resistant iPhone 6 is coming
The iPhone 6 will sport an outer shell that will repel water and dust, reports Phone Arena citing images by popular Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) gadget leaker Sonny Dickson. In this regard, Apple will be playing catch up because Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (LON:BC94) (KRX:005930)’s waterproof Galaxy S5 with IP67 certification is already in the market. Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) (TYO:6758)’s Xperia Z is also water-resistant.
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is reportedly planning to raise the iPhone 6 price by at least $100. According to Jefferies, a price hike could increase the iPhone’s ASP to $641. Raising the price shouldn’t be a big surprise given the larger screen size, a faster processor and many other new features. The iPhone 6 is likely to sport 1GB RAM, an upgraded A8 processor, iOS 8, and narrower bezel. And the phablet 5.5-inch version is likely to have a bigger battery.
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) shares inched up 0.10% to $593.40 in pre-market trading Tuesday.