In a recent phone survey conducted by Edison Research and Triton Digital that was compiled by Business Insider Intelligence, there is concrete evidence to suggest that Snapchat continues its rise as a social network. For many, the idea that CEO Evan Spiegel turned down a $4 billion cash offer from Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) last year screamed of arrogance and foolhardiness. But when you look at the number of users Snapchat enjoys in the coveted 12 to 24 age range, Spiegel’s gamble may just pan out for the three year old company.
The Bedford Park Opportunities Fund returned 13.5% net of all fees and expenses in the second quarter of 2021, bringing its year-to-date return to 27.6%. Q2 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more In the fund's second-quarter investor letter, which ValueWalk has been able to review, Jordan Zinberg, the President and CEO of Bedford Read More
Survey reveals that Snapchat is gaining strength
Snapchat has cemented itself as the fastest growing social network. In 2013, a mere 3% of respondents in this age range said that they ever used Snapchat. That number has risen meteorically in the last six months with 13% of those surveyed now saying that they have used the application.
And companies are taking notice. When McDonald’s jumped on Snapchat few thought much would come of the campaign, now McDonald’s is basking in its foresight.
The survey includes a number of notable findings:
- Twitter has been around a long time compared to Snapchat, yet, when you look at the “all ages” surveyed Twitter maintains only the narrowest of leads with 16% surveyed saying they have ever used Twitter compared to 13% who have ever used Snapchat.
- 43% of 12 to 24 years old said they ever use Snapchat, with over 50% of the same age group having an Instagram account.
- Twitter seems to be the bastion of “old people” with only one out of three teens using the service that seems omnipresent on CNN and other media outlets.
- Instagram over all age groups enjoys a lead over Twitter with 19% of those surveyed using the social network compared to 16% for Twitter.
- For all the talk of teens leaving Facebook as their parents use it, 80% of 12-24 year old have a Facebook profile.
New social networks will continue to proliferate, but Snapchat is enjoying a tremendous amount of early success in its infancy.