Time Magazine began its list of the 100 most influential people in 1999 as a debate between CBS news anchor Dan Rather, historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, former New York governor Mario Cuomo, then–political science professor Condoleezza Rice, neoconservative publisher Irving Kristol, and Time managing editor at a symposium in Washington D.C.
Since then we’ve learned that Oprah Winfrey is the most influential person in the world. Wait, she didn’t make the list this year? Barack Obama made the list for the ninth time to tie Oprah’s appearances? I understand Oprah’s fall from grace since she gave up her show but Obama? Am I the only person who sees a president unable to influence Congress in the slightest? The following is a list of just some who made the list this year.
Other notables joining Obama in the “Leaders” List:
- Dennis Rodman’s pal and everybody’s favorite crazy midget Kim Jung Un
- NoyNoy Aquino, the man willing to stand up to China’s claims for the entire China Sea. He may regret that one.
- Joe Biden and Pope Francis. Hmm….one who speaks nonsense and the other in a dead language.
- Wayne LaPierre, for anyone who watched the Senate disappoint a nation this week with some semblance of sensible gun control legislation, it’s tough to argue his influence.
From the “Titans” list:
- The man, the brand, the husband of hot, hot, hot Beyonce, Jay-Z
- Elon Musk … the man who’s greening up the planet only to escape it by rocket ship
- Who the hell is Scooter Braun? Oh, Justin Bieber’s manager….that makes sense.
- The female face of Facebook, Sheryl Sandberg. Or, as I like to call her, the face of Facebook that I don’t want to punch on sight.
- Netflix Content Guru, Ted Sarandos
- Instagram co-founder and CEO, Kevin Systrom
- Everyone’s favorite hedge fun maniac David Einhorn
From the “Pioneers” list:
- The man who makes me smarter, and founder of the Khan Academy, Aamir Khan
- Scourge of the telecommuter, Marissa Mayer
- Kickstarter CEO Perry Chen
- The man who best personifies “looking for love in all the wrong places,” OKCupid founder and match.com CEO Sam Yagan
- Apple Design Guru Jony Ive
- A bunch of really rich Asian men
From the “Icons” list:
- Underrated writer/actor/director Lena Dunham
- Batsh#t crazy Italian footballer Mario Balotelli
- The only woman who thinks Tiger Woods might not cheat on her, Lindsey Vonn
- Pretty boy Justin Timberlake
- Beyonce, enough said.
- My favorite organic gardener Michelle Obama
From the “Artists” list:
- The hottie who can really act, Jennifer Lawrence
- Meth-head millionaire Bryan Cranston
- Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon … really? Never heard of Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert
- The omnipresent Steven Spielberg
- A bunch of musicians I’ve never heard of until know.
Check out Time’s full list here.