Pakistan received $1.1 billion dollars coalition support fund from the United States as part of the memorandum of understanding (MoU) to regularize NATO supplies in Rawalpindi to stabilize Afghanistan.
Under the terms of the MoU, the convoys will be able to deliver food, medicines, and other necessities for the allied forces fighting in Afghanistan. The supply of weapons to the Afghan National Army is allowed, but the supply of ammunitions is restricted.
According to the Defense Ministry of Pakistan, the agreement was developed under the UN charter, and it is in line with the recommendations of its Parliament. A Central Coordination Authority will supervise the implementation of the terms in the agreement.
The United States government released the fund after signing the MoU on Tuesday, July 31, which was signed by Ministry of Defense‚ Rear Admiral Farrokh Ahmed and US Charge d Affaires‚ Richard Hoagland.
According to retired Lt. General Asif Yasin Malik, Defense Secretary of Pakistan, the MoU is also beneficial to the United States, Afghanistan, and other forces present in the region helping to promote peace and stability in the region. According to him, Pakistan is contributing positively to achieve those objectives for the region.
On the other hand, US Acting Ambassador, Richard Hoagland, said the United States government and Pakistan have a shared commitment in supporting Afghanistan and the regional stability with mutual interest and respect.
The fund is also intended for the reimbursement of the costs of counter-insurgency operations incurred by Pakistan. According to reports, Pakistan received $8.8 billion funds from the United States from 2002 to 2011. Funding for the counter-insurgency operations stopped when the relationship between the two countries collapsed, after the U.S. forces killed Osama Bin Laden during a raid on his house in Pakistan, in May 2011.
The United States government became frustrated with Pakistan due to its reluctance to target Afghan Taliban using its territory. Pakistan denied the allegation and argued that it does not have enough forces to fight the Afghan Taliban, because it is fighting Pakistani Taliban militants within the country.
In November last year, Pakistan blocked its Afghan border for NATO supplies, after American airstrikes accidentally killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. The border was opened early in July after a series of meetings between the two governments, and the United States government issued a statement of apology for the accidental deaths of the Pakistani soldiers.
General John Allen, top U.S. Commander in Afghanistan, said the MoU reflects a “significant progress” in improving the partnership between the United States and Pakistan to defeat the Afghan Taliban.
Meanwhile, Pakistan issued a high security alert after a twin explosion occurred in Lahore injuring 23 people on Wednesday.