The United States Department of Labor previously released its jobs report, showing a slow growth in employers hiring during the month of June. The 80,000 jobs created by employers in June, were short of the expected 90,000 jobs needed to lower the current 8.2 percent unemployment rate.
Despite the disappointing results of the jobs statistics, there are positive signs. Some U.S. companies are actually hiring. Based on the Thomson Reuters datalast June, one report showed that three out of four S&P 500 (INDEXSP:.INX) companies were hiring. According to Scott Wren, senior equity strategist at Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC), many companies in various industries are hiring but the number is minimal. He suggested that the jobs hiring among U.S. companies will continue to grow at a modest pace.
Exclusive: York Capital to wind down European funds, spin out Asian funds
York Capital Management has decided to focus on longer-duration assets like private equity, private debt and collateralized loan obligations. The firm also plans to wind down its European hedge funds and spin out its Asian fund. Q3 2020 hedge fund letters, conferences and more York announces structural and operational changes York Chairman and CEO Jamie Read More
Reuters reported that out of ten Dow Jones companies, eight were hiring in recent months. Some of the companies that are actually hiring include Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT); which opened 27 new stores and expected hire 4,500 additional employees, The Home Depot Inc. (NYSE:HD); who announced in January that the company will add 70,000 store associates, and Alcoa (NYSE,AA), which added 1,000 new employees due to facilities expansion in Iowa, India.
Data from S&P 500 companies also showed that the jobs growth among technology companies is booming during the previous quarter, including Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ:AMZN) 67%, eBay Inc (NASDAQ:EBAY) 57%, Salesforce.com inc. (NYSE:CRM) 47%, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) 30%, and Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) 30% created jobs growth respectively.
Citing the data from Simply Hired, Forbes identified the top employers hiring in the biggest cities in the United States during the previous quarter including:
- STAPLES Inc. (NASDAQ:SPLS) – 5,704 total job openings
- PIZZA HUT – 4,962 job openings
- Valley Health: 3,833 -job openings
- Lockheed Martin Corporation(NYSE:LMT): 3,630 -job openings
- UnitedHealth Group: 2,898 job openings
- Taco Bell- 2,763 job openings
- International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) – 2480 job openings
- Starbucks Corporation (NASDAQ:SBUX)- 2,093 job openings
- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)- 1,905 job openings
- eBay Inc (NASDAQ:EBAY)- 1,803 job openings
- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CACI)- 1,743 job openings
- Inova Health System- 1,628 job openings
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO)- 1,550 job openings
- Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)- 1,388 job openings
- Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C)- 1,253 job openings
- ManTech International- 1,208 – job openings
- The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD)-1,180 job openings
- Accenture Plc (NYSE:ACN)- 1,137 job openings
- Sutter Health- 1,033 job openings
- Wellstar International, Inc. (PINK:WLSI)- 1,013 job openings
We previously reported that three companies are currently hiring, including Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE:UNP), Firehouse Subs, and Universal Health Services Inc. (NYSE:UHS) (fairly large numbers of employees).
Union Pacific Corporation is currently hiring 4,500 new employees, particularly diesel mechanics and electricians. The late President Abraham Lincoln established the railroad company in 1860. Firehouse Subs operates 515 restaurants across the United States, and is it hiring 1,500 additional workers, including general managers, cashiers and other positions. The company is expanding in 16 locations. Universal Health Services Inc. will open a new 140-bed hospital in California, adding 1,400 health care jobs, including nurses, pharmacists, and radiology technicians to the job growth.
In addition to three companies mentioned above, based on data from Simply Hired, some of the Fortune 500 companies that are currently hiring include:
- Mollen Immunization Clinics- 9,583 job openings
- SAIC Inc.- 4,185 job openings
- Kelly Services- (NASDAQ:KELYA)- 3,444 job openings
- Volt Information Sciences (NYSE:VOL)- 2,225 job openings
- Dollar Tree (Nasdaq:DLTR)- 2,013 job openings
- Alliedbarton Security Services- 1,733 job openings
- Goodrich (NYSE:GR) – 1446 job openings
Since 2010, Fortune 500 companies recorded 240% rate in jobs growth.