Every morning the Street of Walls team puts out an update on market levels, today’s top stories, and active M&A deals.
Today’s Top Stories:
- Overall M&A: Annualized using the run rate through July 2011, deal value and number of deals would have been up 67% and 37%, respectively http://bit.ly/xwWK3M
- AAPL Products: speculation online that the new iPad could hit in March while the iPhone 5 could come during the June http://bit.ly/yIVD89
- Adage Capital Buys Puma BioTech: On January 31, Adage Capital Partners disclosed a 15.97% stake in the total outstanding common shares of Puma Biotechnology http://bit.ly/wTp90k
- Green Mountain Results: GMCR +18% blowout earnings driven by Keurig single-cup sales. Q2 guidance disappoints but clearly being brushed aside by huge Q1
- Afghanistan Update: the US and its NATO allies plan on shifting the strategic direction of the Afghan mission, focusing more on train-and-assist operations and less on combat. The shift will take place in ’13 and limit the role of int’l forces ahead of a scheduled pullout at the end of ’14
- Buffett Rule Unlikely To Pass: A version of President Obama’s “Buffett Rule” has been introduced in the U.S. Senate but it faces an enormous obstacle: strong Republican opposition http://bit.ly/y1Gk40
- Mortgage Settlement: A proposed settlement to resolve mortgage abuses by top U.S. banks will give states broad authority to punish firms that mistreat borrowers in the future, according to documents seen by Reuters on Wednesday http://reut.rs/wv2S2A
- Weekly M&A Trends: Completed M&A volumes rose by 10% in the week to $25.0 billionhttp://bit.ly/yLnba7
- Macquarie is competing to buy Deutsche Bank’s asset management divisions (DJ)
- Xstrata (XTA LN) +10% in potential merger talks w/ Glencore (+5%)
- D -8% buying Dynamic Offshore for $1.275B in cash, shares
Disclosure: I do not have a position in any stocks mentioned in this article, do not have a plan to initiate a position within the next 72 hours.
Disclaimer: The information, opinions, material, and any other content provided in this article is for informational purposes only and is not to be used or considered an offer or solicitation to buy or sell securities, investment products, financial instruments, or to participate in any particular investment strategy. The information, opinions, material, and any other content provided in this article does not constitute as a recommendation or as advice to buy or sell securities, investment products, financial instruments, or to participate in any particular investment strategy.