On this week’s Consuelo Mack WealthTrack anexclusive interview with legendary portfolio manager Chuck Royce. The small company stock guru explains how he has beaten the market with less risk over the last 35 years and why small is still beautiful.
Here are some highlights:
- Royce was one of the pioneers of small cap investing, when he started ~35 years ago.
- There are a totally of 30,000 small cap companies world-wide according to Charles Royce.
- Sees a lot of opportunity around the world. Doesn’t do it by top down basis. Started with Europe because they had people with a lot of experience in Europe.
- He thinks of himself as a risk manager. He considers himself an absolute return investor.
- He is careful about too much concentration, and likes diversifying.
- Likes financial service companies (not banks). Likes Federated Investors.
- Likes stock exchanges as stocks.
- Average holding period is “forever”. But in reality average holding period is 4-5 years.
- Most selling occurs is where something goes very wrong with company or valuation gets completely out of whack.
- Likes companies that are paying out cash as dividends, especially as market returns are lower over coming decade.
- Thinks quality companies will do better as economy accelerates.
- Thinks stocks will return 6-8% for the next ten years.
- Likes Royce Dividend Value Fund, he thinks it will “shine”. But compares all his funds to children, so hard to pick a favorite.
- Investing in a pool of dividend stocks is best investment.
Relying On Old-Fashioned Stock Picking, Lee Ainslie Reports His “Strongest Quarter” Ever
Lee Ainslie's Maverick Fund USA enjoyed its "strongest quarter in the fund's history" during the three months to the end of June. According to a copy of the firm's second-quarter letter to investors, which ValueWalk has been able to review, Maverick Fund USA gained 18% in the second quarter. Following this performance, the fund was Read More
Book of the week: The Invisible Gorilla: How Our Intuitions Deceive Us (June 7, 2011) by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons
Transcript of David Einhorn’s Speech at the Ira Sohn Conference – Insider Monkey
The Effects of Quantitative Easing Great read
Transcript of Sunjay Gorawara’s Speech at the Ira Sohn Conference – Bridge Point Education
Interview with Ira Sohn Contest Winner Sunjay Gorawara
The top 5 U.S. cities seeking hedge fund talent
Insider Weekends – June 06, 2011