The results are in! Toluna Quicksurveys joined yesterday’s Apple event and overnight they polled over 1,000 American consumers on their initial reactions to the iPhone 7.
This survey was conducted by Toluna Quicksurveys using AskTheNation, which weights figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, region and household income to bring them in line with their actual proportions in the population. There were 1,140 respondents.
Consumers Reaction To iPhone 7
- 48% will purchase the new iPhone and 52% would purchase the Plus version
- 59% would stand in a long line the day of the iPhone 7 release to purchase one, 41% would not
The following represents which color respondents would prefer
If given the option, respondents would purchase this iPhone 7 storage size
A couple highlights:
- Earpods / “AirPods” (no more headphone jack) are among respondents LEAST favorite new features
- Longest battery life ever in an iPhone, Water and dust resistant and new 12MP Camera are top 3 favorite features
- 44% do not intend to buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
1. The following represents the technology respondents currently own
2. The following represents the type(s) of smartphones respondents currently own
3. The following represents how satisfied respondents are with their current smartphone
- 1% Very Dissatisfied
- 4% Dissatisfied
- 7% Neither Satisfied nor Dissatisfied
- 41% Satisfied
- 47% Very Satisfied
4. The following represents how respondents’ current smartphone compares to the original expectations at purchase
5. The following represents the impression of the overall look of the iPhone 7.
- 64% impressed
- 18% unimpressed
- 18% no opinion
6. The following represents how respondents expect the new iPhone to perform
7. This is how respondents rank the new features of the new iPhone favorite to least favorite
- Top 3 features
- Longest battery life ever in an iPhone (2 more hours than iPhone 6, 1 more hour than iPhone 6 Plus)
- Water and dust resistant
- 12MP Camera
- Bottom 3 features
- Earpods (no more headphone jack)
- New home button (force sensitive and new taptic engine)
- iOS 10 software
8. The following describes respondents feelings toward the announcement of the new iPhone and its features.
- 28% I’m satisfied with the overall look of the new iPhone, but unsatisfied with the new features
- 12% I’m unsatisfied with the overall look of the iPhone 7, but satisfied with the new features
- 20% I don’t think the iPhone 7 seems much different from the iPhone 6
- 9% I don’t think Apple has done enough to justify this new iPhone model
- 31% I have no opinion
9. The following represents how satisfied respondents are with the new iPhone announcement on a scale of 1-10 (1 being not at all satisfied, and 10 being completely satisfied)
- 3% Rated 1
- 2% Rated 2
- 4% Rated 3
- 4% Rated 4
- 11% Rated 5
- 11% Rated 6
- 13% Rated 7
- 18% Rated 8
- 16% Rated 9
- 18% Rated 10
10. The following represents features that were NOT included in the new iPhone but respondents would have liked to have been included
11. The following represents how or if respondents plan on buying an iPhone 7
- 15% Yes, I plan to purchase an iPhone 7 as soon as my contract allows me to upgrade.
- 11% Yes, I plan to purchase an iPhone 7 Plus as soon as my current contract allows me to upgrade.
- 3% Yes, I would break my current contract for the new iPhone.
- 2% Yes, I would break my current contract for an iPhone 7 Plus.
- 5% Yes, I plan to purchase an iPhone 7 and am not locked into a contract.
- 2% Yes, I plan to purchase an iPhone 7 Plus and am not locked into a contract.
- 3% Yes, I am part of the Apple Upgrade Program and will get the new phone with that plan
- 44% No, I do not intend to buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus.
- 15% I’m not sure