This is pretty cool. It is quite the group of Judges…Last year’s winner was Simeon McMillan, a Columbia MBA student. His investment idea Tribune Company (OTCMKTS:TRBAA) is up 45% over the past year.
New York, NY – +March 19, 2014 – The Sohn Conference Foundation +today announced its annual Investment Idea Contest to identify the most timely and actionable investment idea to be featured at the Sohn Investment Conference, produced in partnership with Bloomberg LINK, on May 5th, 2014 in New York City. The winner will be selected by a group of distinguished judges – Panel Chair Michael Price along with Bill Ackman, David Einhorn, Seth Klarman, and Joel Greenblatt – and will present his or her idea before an audience of 3,000 portfolio managers, asset allocators, and private investors at the famed Sohn Conference.
“The Sohn Investment Idea Contest gives any investor a chance to stand alongside some of the most sophisticated investors in the world,” said Michael Price, Founder of MFP Investments. “The judging panel is very excited to see this year’s competition and we expect to have a great selection of entries.”
“We’re seeking an investor who can identify a timely, compelling, and applicable investment idea with a 12-month horizon,” said Seth Klarman, President and CEO of The Baupost Group, LLC. “My fellow judges and I will be paying attention to the level of research that went into a particular idea and the unique thought process behind it.”
To be considered for the contest, each investment idea must be a publicly traded security with a market capitalization of USD $1 billion or greater.
Entries for the Sohn Investment Idea Contest are due by April 29th. The finalists will be notified ahead of the conference and the winner will be announced and then present at the conference on May 5th.
For more information about the contest, visit http://www.sohnconference.org/contest/.
As for the other speakers:
WORLD’S PREEMINENT INVESTORS TO SPEAK AT 19TH ANNUAL
SOHN INVESTMENT CONFERENCE
Conference set to debut additional feature showcasing top emerging managers
New York, NY – March 26, 2014 – The Sohn Conference Foundation today announced the lineup of speakers for its 19th Annual Sohn Investment Conference, produced in partnership with Bloomberg LINK, to be held on May 5th, 2014 at Avery Fisher Hall in New York City. This year’s conference will also feature a new initiative, Next Wave Sohn, showcasing the investing world’s rising stars and co-chaired by Graham Duncan of East Rock Capital and David Z. Solomon of Goldman Sachs.
The much-anticipated Sohn Investment Conference provides a forum for investors to share fresh market insights, while also serving as a fundraiser to support innovative pediatric cancer research. The Sohn Conference Foundation supports pioneering research programs for the treatment and cure of pediatric cancer through a variety of renowned investment events around the world. Since 1995, the conferences have raised in excess of $50 million for this cause.
The main stage speaker lineup for the 19th Annual Sohn Investment Conference:
- William Ackman, CEO and Portfolio Manager, Pershing Square Capital Management, LP
- Dan Ariely, James B. Duke Professor of Psychology & Behavioral Economics, Duke University
- David Einhorn, President, Greenlight Capital, Inc.
- Mariko Gordon, Founder, CEO and CIO, Daruma Capital Management, LLC
- James Grant, Founder and Editor, Grant’s Interest Rate Observer
- Jeffrey Gundlach, CEO and CIO, DoubleLine
- Paul Tudor Jones II, Co-Chairman and CIO, Tudor Investment Corporation
- Philippe Laffont, Founder and Portfolio Manager, Coatue Management
- Michael Novogratz, Principal and Member of the Board of Directors, Fortress Investment Group LLC
- Larry Robbins, Founder, Portfolio Manager and CEO, Glenview Capital Management
- Zach Schreiber, Portfolio Manager and Chairman, CEO and CIO, PointState Capital LP
- Chris Shumway, Founder and Managing Partner, Shumway Capital
In addition to the afternoon’s premier program, Next Wave Sohn will present a slate of elite emerging managers delivering their best investment ideas. Held in the morning just before the feature event, Next Wave Sohn will mirror the high-energy, securities-focused presentation format for which the conference is known. All Sohn Conference attendees are invited to RSVP for the program at no additional cost when they register for the conference. A limited number of tickets to attend Next Wave Sohn in isolation will also be available.
The speaker lineup for Next Wave Sohn:
- Ethan Devine, Partner and Portfolio Manager, Indus Capital Partners, LLC
- Jason Karp, CEO and CIO, Tourbillon Capital Partners LP
- John Khoury, Managing Partner and Portfolio Manager, Long Pond Capital, LP
- Nitin Saigal, Founder, Kora, LLC
- Will Snellings, Founder, Marianas Fund LP
“We are thrilled to once again convene an unprecedented lineup of some of the world’s most renowned investors in support of the fight against pediatric cancer,” said Douglas Hirsch, co-chair of the Sohn Conference Foundation. “This year, we’re also adding a new dimension to the Sohn Conference by bringing the next generation of top investors to our attendees – we can’t wait to hear what they have to say.”
The conference will also feature the winner of the Sohn Investment Idea Contest, selected by distinguished judges Michael Price, William Ackman, David Einhorn, Seth Klarman, and Joel Greenblatt. The winner will be announced at the event and present his or her idea to the audience of 3,000. To be considered for the contest, each investment idea must be a publicly traded security with a market capitalization of USD $1 billion or greater. Entries are due by April 29th.