Raymond James analyst Aaron Kessler provides an outlook for the internet industry as comScore releases U.S. PC traffic data for December. While the PC traffic trend was positive for Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) and Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB), it was negative for Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) and LinkedIn Corp (NYSE:LNKD).

PC Traffic trends

comScore released U.S. PC traffic data for December

In general, PC traffic (non-mobile) trends for 4Q were mixed across our media and e-commerce companies, but negative for the online travel group. Within the media vertical specifically, 4Q PC traffic was positive for Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) and Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) while more negative PC traffic for Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) and LinkedIn Corp (NYSE:LNKD). For e-commerce, PC traffic was positive for Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX), PayPal, and Shutterfly, Inc. (NASDAQ:SFLY), though more mixed for Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), eBay Inc (NASDAQ:EBAY), and Groupon Inc (NASDAQ:GRPN). For online travel, PC traffic was generally softer across most of our coverage companies, including Priceline, Expedia, and HomeAway.

PC traffic for Online Media

Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) unique visitors increased 1% y/y in December (vs. +1% y/y in November), while page views increased 3% y/y (vs. +11% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 1% y/y (vs. +2% y/y in 3Q), while page views increased 8% y/y (vs. +5% y/y in 3Q).

Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO)  unique visitors increased 5% y/y in December (vs. +13% y/y in November), while page views decreased 7% y/y (vs. +1% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 11% y/y (vs. +20% y/y in 3Q), while page views decreased 2% y/y (vs. +2% y/y in 3Q).

Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) unique visitors decreased 8% y/y in December (vs. -7% y/y in November), while page views decreased 6% y/y (vs. -5% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 7% y/y (vs. -11% y/y in 3Q), while page views decreased 9% y/y (vs. -23% y/y in 3Q).

LinkedIn Corp (NASDAQ:LNKD) unique visitors increased 11% y/y in December (vs. +15% y/y in November), while page views decreased 10% y/y (vs. -2% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 15% y/y (vs. +30% y/y in 3Q), while page views decreased 3% y/y (vs. +22% y/y in 3Q).

Yelp Inc (NYSE:YELP) unique visitors decreased 1% y/y in December (vs. +6% y/y in November), while page views increased 9% y/y (vs. +18% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 5% y/y (vs. +20% y/y in 3Q), while page views increased 16% y/y (vs. +28% y/y in 3Q).

Pandora Media Inc (NYSE:P) unique visitors decreased 5% y/y in December (vs. -9% y/y in November), while page views decreased 6% y/y (vs. -12% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 6% y/y (vs. +5% y/y in 3Q), while page views decreased 8% y/y (vs. flat y/y in 3Q).

PC traffic for E-Commerce

Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) unique visitors decreased 2% y/y in December (vs. -1% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 13% y/y (vs. -16% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors were flat y/y (vs. +4% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 14% y/y (vs. +3% y/y in 3Q).

eBay Inc (NASDAQ:EBAY) (marketplace) unique visitors decreased 4% y/y in December (vs. -5% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 9% y/y (vs. -11% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 4% y/y (vs. -4% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 10% y/y (vs. -8% y/y in 3Q).

PayPal unique visitors increased 3% y/y in December (vs. +7% y/y in November), while total visits increased 11% y/y (vs. +8% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 4% y/y (vs. -4% y/y in 3Q), while total visits increased 8% y/y (vs. -7% y/y in 3Q).

Shutterfly, Inc. (NASDAQ:SFLY) unique visitors increased 18% y/y in December (vs. +6% y/y in November), while total visits increased 20% y/y (vs. +2% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 10% y/y (vs. -11% y/y in 3Q), while total visits increased 8% y/y (vs. -9% y/y in 3Q).

Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) unique visitors increased 3% y/y in December (vs. +8% y/y in November), while total visits increased 14% y/y (vs. +24% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 5% y/y (vs. +6% y/y in 3Q), while total visits increased 20% y/y (vs. +19% y/y in 3Q).

Groupon Inc (NASDAQ:GRPN) unique visitors increased 6% y/y in December (vs. +16% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 2% y/y (vs. +10% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors increased 3% y/y (vs. +4% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 5% y/y (vs. +8% y/y in 3Q).

CafePress Inc (NASDAQ:PRSS) unique visitors decreased 1% y/y in December (vs. -15% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 5% y/y (vs. -22% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 8% y/y (vs. -21% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 13% y/y (vs. -18% y/y in 3Q).

PC traffic for Online Travel

Expedia Inc (NASDAQ:EXPE) consolidated sites unique visitors decreased 20% y/y in December (vs. -17% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 23% y/y (vs. -19% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 18% y/y (vs. -10% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 20% y/y (vs. -12% y/y in 3Q).

Tripadvisor Inc (NASDAQ:TRIP) sites unique visitors decreased 19% y/y in December (vs. -5% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 16% y/y (vs. +7% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 13% y/y (vs. flat y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 8% y/y (vs. +13% y/y in 3Q).

Priceline.com Inc (NASDAQ:PCLN) unique visitors decreased 26% y/y in December (vs. -11% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 24% y/y (vs. -14% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 19% y/y (vs. -2% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 16% y/y (vs. flat y/y in 3Q).

Kayak Network unique visitors decreased 41% y/y in December (vs. -36% y/y in November), while total visits decreased 40% y/y (vs. -32% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 36% y/y (vs. -25% y/y in 3Q), while total visits decreased 32% y/y (vs. -14% y/y in 3Q).

HomeAway, Inc. (NASDAQ:AWAY) organic unique visitors decreased 21% y/y in December (vs. -19% y/y in November), while total visits increased 10% y/y (vs. -19% y/y in November). Overall for 4Q, unique visitors decreased 11% y/y (vs. +6% y/y in 3Q), while total visits increased 6% y/y (vs. +18% y/y in 3Q).