A medical team was sent to the site on Tuesday morning to watch the unfolding developments while the two injured survivors were transferred to a hospital for treatment.
An Aswat Masriya reporter had said that 16 people were killed leaving the rest of the 21 passengers on board injured while a spokesman of the balloon company had told Reuters that 19 tourists were killed while only the guide and one tourist survived in the mid-air explosion at about 300 meters high.
A security source told the state news agency earlier that 19 tourists from Britain, France, Japan and Hong Kong were killed in the deadly crash.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Hisham Kandil has ordered an investigation by experts in the accident to avoid similar crashes in the future.
Luxor Governor Ezzat Saad has ordered hot air balloon companies to suspend trips following a deadly crash that left at least 19 dead on Tuesday, reported the state news agency.
A hot air balloon crash on Tuesday morning killed 19 tourists and injured two others 300 meters above land in the southern governorate of Luxor.
The latest news:
A health ministry source said on Tuesday that 18 people were killed and three were injured in a hot air balloon crash in Luxor on Tuesday.
A statement by the health ministry said that four Japanese, nine Chinese, two French, one Hungarian and one British tourist died in the mid-air explosion that took place early on Tuesday 300 meters above land.
Two British citizens and one Egyptian were also injured and are currently being treated at a local hospital where they are suffering from burns and fractures.
Luxor Governor Ezzat Saad has ordered hot air balloon companies to suspend trips following the deadly crash, reported the state news agency.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Hisham Kandil has ordered an investigation in the accident to avoid similar crashes in the future.