Apple’s big day is here, WWDC, is always a surprise for investors because this is when Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) unveils its new products. Interestingly enough, ahead of this year’s WWDC, we saw a few leaked details about the new Mac lineup.
First off, Mac Pro is getting revamped for the first time in about two years. The Mac Pro will come in three configurations, reports (9to5mac.com):
- Normal configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.
- Normal configuration: 2.4GHz 12-core processor, 12GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.
- Server configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, Two 1TB hard drives
Next, we see that MacBook Pros are getting an upgrade as well. The new systems will include Apple’s Retina Display and a thinner, sharper design. The new MacBook Pros will come in 13 in or 15 in. Here are the released specs of the new MacBook Pros:
- 13.3 inch: 2.5GHz dual core processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive
- 13.3 inch: 2.9GHz dual core processor, 8GB of RAM, 750GB hard drive
- 15.4 inch: 2.3GHz quad core processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive
- 15.4 inch: 2.6GHz quad core processor, 8GB of RAM, 750GB hard drive (BTO upgrades to 2.7GHz quad core and 1TB HD will be available)
Aside from new Macs and their specs, part of the leaked information showed us that Apple will be unveiling an updated version of its AirPort Express and USB SuperDrive. The new SuperDrives are being made specifically for the new Macs that were described above.
Apple clearly has some big plans over the next few months or so. Unfortunately, we still do not know the true identity of the “mystery product” that Apple has said they are working on that will impress, as Apple’s management has said in the past. Many still speculate it has to do with Apple’s rumored iTV, however there are quite a few possibilities of what this product can be. Hopefully Tim Cook unveils the new product at WWDC.
The bottom line is that Apple is updating its bread and butter product: the Mac. Macs have not been truly updated in quite some time so it’s nice to see some new type of Macs come out. The mystery product continues to be a secret but hopefully we will get a sneak peak at WWDC.